Sunday, February 8, 2009

all god's children

Another morning starts and I'm sitting here listening to the girls (my dogs) growl and flail in mortal, loving combat with each other while my true love sleeps by my side. So much has happened over the last two weeks, I don't even think I could recount it all in one sitting. Some good, some bad. Some profound, some relatively meaningless.

First off, my grandma passed a week ago. We knew it was coming, but I don't imagine its something that could ever be routine or expected enough to not affect you. To be honest, I knew her, but I didn't know her. We hadn't spoken in a few years, and that's unfortunate. But there's nothing I can do about that now.

We had the funeral service on Wednesday, which was fine. I really dislike funerals. Except for the obvious reasons, I don't like the obligatory nature. People do things because that's what you're supposed to do. Everyone becomes so emotional and instinctual. We come together and pretend to be close to family members that we haven't seen since the last funeral. And we all love each other dearly. Why? Because that is what is expected of family members. Then we must stand a certain way, dress a certain way, and talk a certain way. Why? Because that's what one does at funerals. I wish people would set aside useless traditions, including loving people because it is expected that you will. I wish we would react thoughtfully and deliberately in these situations, to find our truth of our relationships with the departed and those who gather to mourn their passing and celebrate their lives. And when I take over the world I'm going to mandate that this be the case.

We went and saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night. It was a charming and compelling movie that really teaches you to check your perspective and try to see what's important. I definitely recommend it. Its a shame that a movie is needed to remind us (me) of truths that we (I) believe to be almost common sense, but, alas, that is what is and I can only make do.

more later.

No comments: