Monday, January 14, 2008

the social scene has gone to the dogs

Another week begins and here I am at work, feeling rather productive because I've already accomplished a lot. We're preparing for the jaberwocky, known as the turnaround, which begins unofficially Saturday and Monday in earnest. This one will only be a week though, so it won't be so bad.

I had a pretty good weekend overall. On Friday night we had a poker tournament at Kevin's apartment. There was a pretty good turnout, for our area. We tend to only get between 6-8, but this one yielded 11 people. The blinds seemed like they were moving slow, but I always seemed to be below average in chips. I never really had great starting hands, but somehow had enough to stay alive. I was able to pull to a strong lead at around 5 handed, and didn't look back until heads up with Karen. The blinds were big and she was drunk. Karen is a very conservative player, but sometimes she'll show up with a hand you wouldn't expect. Anyways, I doubled her up with Kh10h vs her A9o. Then, when we were pretty close in chips, she limped on the button, which I knew meant she was weak (she was open shoving any time she had a good hand). So I shoved in the BB with Qh8h, and then nearly puked in my mouth when she snapped called me with the Q9o. So she doubled up again and crippled me. I grinded my way back up to a reasonable stack, but then got it all in with Q2 and she snap called with AA. oops. Oh well, I had fun and felt good about my 2nd place finish, given my run of cards.

Saturday we went to my folks house to have a birthday party for their now one year old bulldog, Winifred. As silly as it sounds, it was fun overall, I suppose. Afterwards we had Rob and Wanda over for a bit for a Wii party. Then Catherine and I got all adventurous and went to Best Buy to purchase a new vacuum, Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360, and the new Radiohead. Afterwards we went and saw Sweeny Todd, which we both enjoyed overall. The movie certainly isn't for the squeemish. There was a LOT of blood and such, but the mixture of the whimsical and the serious and grotesque made for an entertaining movie. Its one I think I would like to see again though in order to fully appreciate.

Sunday Catherine and I just relaxed. We watched a weird psychological thriller called Joshua. Picture The Omen meets Hitchcock's indie son who's tired of living in his father's shadow. I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about that movie. It just felt like it tried too hard. But I'm not sure. After that we played Assassin's Creed and then read together. It was a good day overall.

I find that I forget a lot of things. I come up with these, what I feel at the time, profound ideas and promise to write them down or expound upon them in my mind or with others. But then I forget them later. It makes me wonder how much of my life I've just forgotten.

Currently listening to: Underoath - Define the Great Line
Thing I wish I would stop doing: Getting riled up over video games like I did when I was 8

No comments: