Monday, January 28, 2008

Duct Tape

In the interim between this and my last blog I've been working at a chemical plant, doing a "turnaround". I worked for 7 days straight, for a total of 85 hours. Needless to say, I'm very tired. It was a very busy turnaround as well. Usually I'm allowed some time to just think or read during the hours of downtime. But this time I was running around, solving problems pretty much the entire time. We use a lot of what we call "duct tape" to keep things together and make them work. But my dad and I are pretty good at it, so it works.

During the turnaround my wife was diagnosed. Its funny how something so simple as a name change can have implications that change everything. It's disconcerting is so many ways. You feel almost duped because what you were led to believe was something simple is now something much more complex and deep seeded. And its not that reality has changed, but the reality has always been this way. Our awareness has changed, which rocks you to the bone. Really though, there is nothing else to do but grit your teeth, squint your eyes, and strengthen your stance for the battle ahead. There is no other acceptable choice or alternative anymore. I am so thankful though for so many understanding people around us to help us.

In two days we go to Vegas again, for the first time this year. I'm very excited to relax, hopefully play a lot of poker, and eat some good food. Mostly though I just want to get away from everything. I haven't played poker in so long though, I just can't wait. I am probably going to be rusty, and with a limited bankroll, I will likely have to play a tight, solid game initially, at least until I get my game back. The hard part will be being patient playing against all the "regulars" at the venetian who are really just a bunch of nits (with some exceptions).

After seeing four out of the five movies nominated for best picture at the emmy's, the award goes to There Will Be Blood, with No Country for Old Men a close second.

Current music on the ipod: Radiohead - In Rainbows
Movie I really enjoyed that slipped under the radar and I'm not sure if too many others would enjoy it: Eagle vs Shark

No comments: