Thursday, January 10, 2008

less long, yet substantial

I'm tired this morning. We haven't been sleeping well lately, starting with Monday night/Tuesday morning where we were both sick and Catherine fainted and bruised her face (i swear i didn't beat her...). Oh well. I suppose its not too bad. Things have been going well overall though. Catherine's new medicines seem to be having an effect on the short term stuff and she continues to battle against the long term stuff, so perhaps there is a light at the end of this long, dark tunnel.

We're going to Las Vegas for Catherine's birthday at the end of this month, which is very exciting. We haven't been there in a long time it seems (like two months really...we're spoiled) and I'm dying to play poker. A combination of the holidays, losing our bankroll (which was very much the holiday's fault), and me not playing online poker much at all anymore has made it so that something I used to do literally almost every day I do, at best, once every week or two. Its strange, but I think its for the best. Tomorrow night there's a poker night at the Meng's so that will be good to quench my fix for a bit. Hopefully the poker gods will be on our side because we could really use the money for Vegas at the end of the month.

Its funny how when you get older you realize what an idiot you were in your youth. I guess that's normal but the wisdom behind the whole "log in your eye" thing that Jesus spoke of is really being brought home to me as I examine my past, and some current, relationships. It just seems like a rule that whatever I criticize others for I myself am eternally guilty of. I have failed so many of my good friends because of my arrogance. What a terrible shame. I can only pray that even now I will be given the discernment to see where I am failing those around me,, the humility to acknowledge it, and the wisdom to correct it.

movie i watched last night: the good shephard
next tattoo idea: a sacred heart w/ an angel surrounding it.

No comments: