Monday, January 7, 2008

2007 is gone and a new blog is here

Hello world. This is probably my third or fourth attempt at one of these silly things. I'm not sure why I'm doing it exactly. I suppose that a big reason is because I tend to get my thoughts out better when I write them out. It forces me to focus instead of always "shooting from the hip", which is what I'm notorious for (probably only notorious to myself and a few others, but that's neither here nor there). There is also, I imagine, some measure of pride in having others read my thoughts. Some sort of validation. Whatever though. We're all arrogant in some ways, and perhaps by airing my arrogance I can become less so.

So I will begin this new blog by reflecting backwards, since it is somewhat close to the beginning of this year, and proper reflection seems to be in order. It was an extraordinarily difficult year, but a singular statement such as that never seems to capture the complexities of life stretched of a time so long as a whole year. You kind of have to be there to understand. Alas, most of you weren't. So I'll try to give highlights by pointing out the highs and lows of 2007, in no particular order.

Best of 2007
  1. Getting our new dog isabelle
  2. Our new tatoos
  3. My brother getting married and then his wife getting pregnant
  4. Getting to watch the WPT Bay 101 final table taping live
  5. Our trip to Vegas with Josh and Shawna
Worst of 2007
  1. Catherine's illness
  2. Chip Reese's death
  3. Colorado
And, with a look to the future, I've done a lot of thinking and here are some goals for 2008:
  1. Get healthier
  2. Eat better/less
  3. Exercise as much as possible
  4. Read more, especially non-poker books
  5. Develop a deeper relationship with God
  6. Go back to school and start to finish my degree
  7. No more online poker at work, unless I have nothing else pressing
  8. Try to play more live poker, at least every other week if possible
  9. Try to play in a major event. Either the upcoming WPT event at Bay 101 or a WSOP event
  10. Get more involved, at least intellectually, in politics and foreign affairs
  11. Take Catherine on more dates
  12. Keep spending time with the new and old friends we have
  13. Do whatever it takes to make Catherine better

currently listening to: paul simon - still crazy after all these years
current pick for president in election 2008: john mccain

No comments: