Friday, January 18, 2008

you're never really as deep as you think you are

I'm here in Oakland, teaching a class right now on the safe way to handle chemicals. The students are doing an exercise right now and are toiling away, so serious, trying to formulate the proper strategy to deal with a release of some hazardous chemicals. How exciting for a safety geek.

Things are moving along in life in general. I feel like I've been so busy that I haven't had time to react to anything. I had hardly even had time to read the newspaper this week, which leaves me relying on the small snipets of information I get before work and during lunch (go McCain). The bad news is that it will only get worse next week with another turnaround on its way. This week was busy because of a variety of social obligations. Next week I will be 100% devoted to a small chemical plant in martinez. At least its only a week this time.

All this business has come at a really bad time too. Catherine is struggling right now and all I want is to be available to her for help. I wish I could just take it all away from her, but this is a worse torture, which teaches us to rely on God more I suppose. That thought is only a mild comfort.

I looked up my online poker screen name on Google and was interested to find that people are posting hands that I've played with them. Hands they lost and I won. Hands where they thought I was a bluffing maniac (sometimes true) but I wasn't, or I was and I still came out lucky. I also found that, as of right now, I'm a long term loser in the online cash games. This is disheartening, but really not that surprising. I know that earlier I let a number of factors influence my online game to the point that I become a donkey. However, I really feel like I'm much better, and, given the chance, I could turn those numbers around. I don't believe I will get that chance online anytime soon though. I just don't have time (or the taste) for online poker. Live poker is just far more interesting. Still, I really just want to play more.

I need to go be a teacher again. I miss my wife though. I was thinking in the shower this morning (I seem to do a lot of deep thinking in the shower) how lucky I am. Even with this horrible time, there is still no question in my heart, mind, or soul that the good outweights the bad. They're almost not even worth comparing.

Song that I have stuck in my head: Joni Mitchell - You're So Vain
Thing I want to do tonight: Go see Cloverfield before everyone spoils the suspense

No comments: